Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Naïve Family and the Sea

It was a beautiful June morning in Galveston Texas. My aunt, uncle, two cousins and I were heading to the pier to meet up with our captain to go on a deep sea fishing adventure. Everyone was super excited and thrilled because our families are obsessed with fishing. The thought of catching a fish from the ocean was much more excited than our previous trips to the Blue River. We were all placing bets on who would walk away with the biggest catch. The stakes were high, our adrenaline was pumping, five whole hours of nonstop fishing, we were going to show the ocean something it had never seen before. Our gear was in the boat we met our captain, naturally his name was “Captain Ron,” and I was disappointed to see that it wasn’t Kurt Russell. Captain Ron read the rules of the boat and we were off. My cousins and I sat toward the back scheming and betting who would catch the biggest fish. I thought, “the water is so smooth, this is nothing like I thought it would be.” Then we exited the sound, the waves started getting bigger and it became extremely hot. I looked over at my cousin and he was a weird, greenish color. I closed my eyes, my mouth started getting watery. The next thing I knew both of my cousins were hanging over the side of the boat, chumming the waters. Looking back, IHOP for breakfast was a terrible idea. Blueberry pancakes are not as pretty the second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment