Friday, January 21, 2011

Old People Like Me

One summer evening my husband and I decided to go out to dinner. We had yet to try P.F. Chang’s so we gave it a shot. Everything was going great, until I got up to use the restroom. I waited my turn in line and then when it was my turn I made my way to the stall. I was met by a 90 year old woman coming out of another stall looking confused. My first thought was, “Alzheimer’s. Where is her family.” I looked up at some middle aged women for the “yes, she is with me” look. All I got from them was a “I’m getting the heck out of here!” look. Thanks, thanks a lot. So after this elderly woman and I had a ten second stare down she spoke to me, words I will never forget, “Will you button my pants?” I looked around for a hidden camera or something, but there was nothing, nada.

There were still a few people scrambling from the restroom, my last hope gone. I looked at the old wobbly woman and asked, “Do they button or snap?” They were hooks. I was a good two feet taller than her so I leaned over and hooked her pants for her. She said thank you, I said you’re welcome. After I finished in the bathroom my husband asked what took so long and all I said was “I had to button this old lady's pants.” I let him look at me puzzled for a little while, then I explained.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a similar story. I was checking at the grocrey stor when an elderly gentleman came hobbiling up. I checked out his grocries, and informed him of the amount he owed. As with you, he started to stare at me and asked me to grab his wallet out of his front pocket. Now I like to be a kind person, but there are some things a guy like me should never have to do. One of those is listen to Hannah yuck Montanna, the other is reach into another mans front pocket. I tried to resist, but there was no one coming to my aid. I hestantly reached into his pocket and grabed his wallet. He payed for his grocries and started to stare at me agian. I had given him his change, what more could he want; he then asked me to put his wallet back into his front pocket. From that point on I finally understood how Chris felt around Old man Herbert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Ok I thought I was the only one to have a strange encounter of the old kind, that makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete