Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Bean Queen

I looooooove beans. They are so versatile and tasty, they can go as a side dish to any meal or be all alone. Packed with protein and music, what more could you ask for?!? My mom would always make the best pot of navy beans and ham during fall and winter months, nothing better. Sometimes she would make them during the summer, but that was rare. I would ask if we could have beans and mom would say, “Katie, that isn’t really a warm weather meal.”

She knew that that was one of my favorite things to eat though so she would make them for me, sometimes; I was sort of a brat about my beans. So I would help my mom sort the navy beans from the bag they came in and find rocks and other things mixed in. My mom would say, “See that (pointing to a pebble) is why we sort the beans.” I would nod in a “yep, you’re right!” kind of way, then we would pour them into the big pot and cook them all day. All day!

When they would finally be ready to eat I would say, “alright, let’s hurry up and paa-ray!” My dad would say, "find your brother so we can pray." Then everyone would dish up their beans, sit down and eat. Delicious! It’s hard to describe my love for beans without sounding like a weirdo, but I don’t care. I will proudly be the “Bean Queen!”

farts & kisses,

Katie "The Bean Queen" Rowe

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to a nice pot of beans and ham during the winter months. Nothing could beat coming in from the playing in the snow and having a hot bowl ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my mother's family they say that eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day brings good luck. Have you heard that one before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I actually love black eyed peas. My family always has sauerkraut and black eyed peas for new years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the joy of sorting beans. As I get older, I find that I enjoy this activity less and less. I think that there is something magical about sorting beans when you are young. Maybe because it makes you feel like an explorer, finding things that have never been seen before (even though they are common to find). Or maybe you feel your superiority when you find things that the machine missed. It makes feel like humans are still needed in our automated world.

    I may, of course, be over analyzing the whole sorting thing, but you can never be too serious when it comes to beans.

    ReplyDelete